Friday 21 August 2009

The Unforgottenness of You

This is the kind of beautiful poem I would love to have written about me some day!


The Unforgottenness of You

When you came to me,
I leapt.

When you went from me,
I wept.

But when you died I kept
the unforgottenness of you
in a drawer with my poem-pen,
My pipe and tobacco,
And my sacred collection of
birds' eggs.



Copyright Grayson Ellis 1986

(first published in the Sunday Telegraph special supplement "From the Heart - Valentine poems for a loveless age" - February 1987)

2 comments:

Pam Smethwick said...

I've always loved this poem but it's so hard to find! Thank you so much Janice for posting it (and thankyou even more Grayson for writing it :) )

Janice Moor said...

Delighted, Pam. I'm so glad to be able to share these beloved poems with people via the internet.

And more good news: 'The Unforgottenness' will be appearing, along with many other previously uncollected works, in Septic Bubblegum. I assume you've reserved your copy!